Circular Strategies Symposium 2
Optimization or Versatility?
8/10/2021, 9:30 - 16:00 (CET)
Auditorium of the University of Applied Arts Vienna Vordere Zollamtsstraße 7, 1030 Vienna
Responsible use of resources is an essential aspect of a future-oriented building culture. This means continuing to use existing buildings for as long as possible and radically reusing components and materials. But what about the building stock of tomorrow – how can we design new structures intelligently? Should we follow the principle of reduction to achieve the intended purpose with minimal material means? Or should we rather risk a certain degree of redundancy to gain robustness in the face of changing conditions?
These questions are the focus of the second Circular Strategies Symposium with the title “Optimization or Versatility?”. International experts from the fields of architecture, theory, science, and technology will share their thoughts and discuss concepts for a future-proof built environment.
Welcome Address: Gerald Bast, Rector of the University of Applied Arts Vienna
Introduction: Wojciech Czaja
10:00 -10:50 PRINCIPLES OF (MATERIAL) OPTIMIZATION
Minimizing the use of material has a long history in construction, but what are the potentials of questioning material conventions altogether?
Keynote lecture: Jan Knippers, Stuttgart: “Towards a culture of dematerialization in architecture” – online
Response: Clemens Preisinger, University of Applied Arts Vienna
11:00 – 11:50 IDEAS AND TOOLS FOR A CIRCULAR BUILDING CULTURE
This panel assembles exceptional thinkers who will share and discuss ideas and methods that have the power to change the future of architectural culture.
- Renaud Haerlingen | Rotor, Brussels: “Circular change”
- Gwyllim Jahn | Fologram, Melbourne: “Mixed Reality Maquettes: Experimental approaches to building from non-standard materials using the HoloLens” – online
- Erich Kotroczo | SIDE, Vienna/Munich: ”The power of BIM for circular strategies“
- Anupama Kundoo, Pune, India / Berlin, Germany: “Architecture as a Mechanism of Waste Capture: direct reuse of urban waste” – online
- Johann Fellner, TU Vienna: “Limits of the circular economy in construction”
12:00 – 13:00 PANEL DISCUSSION
with Renaud Haerlingen, Gwyllim Jahn, Erich Kotroczo, Anupama Kundoo and Johann Fellner
13:00-14:00 lunch break
14:00 – 14:50 THEORY AND PRACTICE
Looking at the bigger picture of the complex challenges in urbanized societies, two speakers with perspectives from theory and practice meet in conversation.
- Keller Easterling, Yale University, New Haven (online): “Building in Reverse” – online
- Daniel Veenboer | Effekt, Copenhagen: „Building Ecosystems“ – online
15:00 – 16:00 THE CONCEPT OF PRODUCTIVE REDUNDANCY
Optimized structures can provide functions efficiently, but what happens if we shift the paradigm towards anticipating change?
Keynote lecture: Manja van de Worp | YIP Structural Engineering, London, RCA, IAAC (live): “Rubens Structures: In defense of redundancy for life-long lightness” – online
Response: Wolf Mangelsdorf | Buro Happold, New York / University of Applied Arts Vienna – online
Event held in English
Organized and curated by Karin Raith and Lukas Allner, University of Applied Arts Vienna,
moderated by Wojciech Czaja, author, and journalist, Vienna
Please note the COVID-19 regulations:
- Reservation is required via pretix.eu/angewandte/CSS2
- Participants must show proof of either being vaccinated, tested or recovered.
- FFP2 mask must be worn in all enclosed spaces.